SugarHouse Mama

Tuesday, June 17, 2008

And I thought I was getting OLD!

As part of the adoption process, Robert and I had to get a complete physical exam. FUN! lol. I don't hate going to the Dr., but I do view it as an annoyance.

Anyway, my blood test came back. Apparently I have Hypothyroidism. It turns out my increasing difficulty to remember things, weight gain, ah-hem hair loss, and fatigue (not to mention several other more personal symptoms ;0) ) are not a result of me just getting older. For the last few years I've just chalked up most of those facts to not being 19 anymore.

I have mixed feelings about the whole thing. I am relieved that there is an explanation for nearly everything I have been 'dealing with' over the last few years, but at the same time it's something that will need to be managed for the rest of my life: I will need to take daily pills and have blood tests done regularly to make sure my dosage is correct.

So I've been taking these little pills (actually, only half of a little pill) daily for just about a week, and I'm feeling a little better already. Which is a good sign. I have to take the pills for 6 weeks, then go back for another blood test to make sure the dosage is correct. I just love having a nurse stick me with a needle and draw out all that blood!

No comments: