SugarHouse Mama

Friday, July 11, 2008

So You Think You Can Dance...a little late

Ok. I have to admit that I'm a little disappointed in SYTYCD this week. I' haven't posted any video clips of dances because I just wasn't floored by anything, really.

Don't get me wrong, there were some really good dances, but nothing that left me thinking "WOW"; nothing that made me want to run to my computer and post. It was just ho-hum.

I don't know if it's because I'm expecting so much from the dancers this year or if it was just really that boring. Part of the problem, I believe, is that they have greatly reduced the number of choreographers. Mandy Moore, for instance, who is sort of a boring choreographer anyway, did 2 routines last night. Having one week to come up with 2 dances that everyone is expecting A LOT out of is hard. Apparently these guys just can't do it anymore. Besides that, most of them have been on the show for several years now.

The judging was crazy, too. It really bothered me that Kherington and Twitch were such a let down and then all three judges chose to "ignore" the fact that Kherington really dropped the ball during the second half of her routine. Then they attack minor flaws in other's performances. (I'm thinking of when Mia tore Joshua Allen apart because she wanted to see more 'movement' from him... something along the lines of "your head was going and your body was going, but I wanted to see more movement") It was crazy and poor Joshua was just plain confused by her comment. He (and I'm pretty sure everyone else) had no idea what the heck Mia was talking about.

Oh, and then there was Mia's really bizarre method of complementing Chelsea: "you're so beautiful I want to stab your face". Really? Wow. Anyway, I think I need to watch it again to try and come up with at least one dance to post....

All in all it was a pretty disappointing show this week. :(

No comments: