SugarHouse Mama

Friday, October 17, 2008

Calorie Cake. I Mean CARROT Cake.

Yesterday was National Bosses Day. So of course, I baked a cake for my boss. {To celebrate his boss-y-ness and bossiness, and also because I'm about to ask for many days of vacation time and he was already giving me grief - in a good natured, but you get my point sort of way - about the vacation time I have already taken off this calendar year.}

My boss is one of those super fanatical fitnessy types. {Yes you are}. So I opted for a carrot cake. You know, because it's healthy.

Here's the yummy recipe in case you are interested. Disclaimer: This is what my cakes will someday look like, of course, but this is NOT my cake. I wish I could claim it, but I can't.




Layered Carrot Cake

  • 1 package (18 1/4 ounces) yellow cake mix. I made my own 'cake mix' this time, but 'tis way yummy with store bought cake mix
  • 1 package (3.4 ounces) instant vanilla pudding mix
  • 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
  • I always add about 1 teaspoon of nutmeg. Because for me, cinnamon and nutmeg go hand in hand.
  • 4 eggs
  • 2/3 cup orange juice
  • 1/2 cup veggie oil
  • 3 cups grated carrots. I prefer baby carrots. They are sweeter, but harder to grate. Watch those filangies.
  • 1/2 cup raisins. I usually don't add the raisins when I bake stuff, but raisins in this carrot cake are scrum-diddly-umptious.
  • 1/2 cup chopped walnuts. I really chop the walnuts because large bits of nuts hurt my mouth and I don't like to come across a large nut when I'm chewing something. It makes me think I've committed a baking faux pas, what with their largeness and crunchyness in an otherwise soft, baked good.

Orange Cream Cheese Frosting: because cream cheese frosting is the best frosting and this frosting is to DIE for.

  • 1 package (8ounces) cream cheese, softened
  • 1/2 cup butter, softened
  • 3 cups confectioners' sugar
  • 1 to 2 tablespoons orange juice. Start with 1 and work up from there. You will regret adding too much OJ when your frosting is runny and won't stay on the cake. I promise. It will waste you best laid plans.
  • 1 tablespoon grated orange peel

Directions:

In a large bowl, combine cake mix, pudding mix, and cinnamon. Whisk the eggs, OJ and oil; add to dry ingredients. Beat until well blended. Stir in the carrots, raisins and nuts.

Pour into two greased and floured 9-inch round baking pans. Bake at 350* (that's my degree sign because there isn't one on the keyboard and I don't know what else to tell ya) for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely. Again, please don't ruin a potentially beautiful cake by trying to frost it too early. It will only end in tears.

For frosting, in a large bowl, beat cream cheese and butter until fluffy. Add the sugar, OJ and peel; beat until smooth. Spread frosting between layers and over top and sides of cake. Store in the fridge.

Here's how my cake turned out. I love the orange peel in the frosting. The frosting is so beautiful it makes a truly pretty cake. {Even if your frosting abilities are not professional in quality} And yes, this is what your cake will look like if you add too much OJ in the frosting or you are trying to frost your cake when your kitchen is a blazing furnace what with that huge south facing window and all.



So Happy National Bosses Day, Boss.

Hope you enjoy the cake - oh, and in case you all were wanting some nutritional information for my healthy carrot cake, there are indeed 544 calories per serving. And there are supposed to be 12-14 servings in a 9-in cake. You might want to dust off that elliptical.

2 comments:

Rebecka said...

Congratulations Domestic Goddess!! Looks yummy. Carrot cake is one of those things that makes you think is SHOULD be healthy, but not so much. That's why we all love it so much!

I am majorly bummed I didn't get to see you. :(

Jen said...

Ummm, Yummmm I have to try this one. Love that it calls for orange in the frosting. Seriously going to make it this season (this says a lot as I hardly make cakes!)

Thanks for sharing!

Jennine